The Nature of Addiction
- Peele, S., with Brodsky, A. (1975), Love and addiction. New York: Taplinger.
- Peele, S. (1985), The meaning of addiction: Compulsive experience and its interpretation. Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Brodsky, A. (2001), A classic holds its ground: A review of Stanton Peele's 'The Meaning of Addiction'. International Journal of Drug Policy, 12, 273-77.
- Nadeau, L. (1983), Stanton Peele, ou l'extension du concept de dépendance. Pshychotropes, Vol. I, No 1 printemps-été.
- Peele, S. & Brodsky, A. (1976, Winter), Addiction is a social disease. Addictions, pp. 2-21.
- Peele, S. (1977), Redefining Addiction. I. Making Addiction a Scientifically and Socially Useful Concept. International Journal of Health Services, Volume 7, Number 1, 1977. pp. 103-124.
- Peele, S. (1981), Reductionism in the psychology of the eighties: Can biochemistry eliminate addiction, mental illness, and pain? American Psychologist, 36, 807-818.
- Peele, S. (1987), Review of Psychological theories of drinking and alcoholism. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 1, 120-134.
- Peele, S. (1988), How strong is the steel trap? Review of The steel drug: Cocaine in perspective. Contemporary Psychology, 33, 144-145.
- Peele, S. (1990), Personality and alcoholism: Establishing the link. In D.A. Ward (Ed.), Alcoholism: Introduction to theory and treatment (3rd ed.), Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt, pp. 147-156.
- Peele, S. (1990), Addiction as a cultural concept. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 602, 205-220.
- Peele, S. & DeGrandpre, R.J. (1998), Cocaine and the concept of addiction: Environmental factors in drug compulsions. Addiction Research, 6, 235-263.
- Peele, S. (1999), Is sex really addictive? Review of Sexual addiction: An integrated approach. Contemporary Psychology, 44, 154-156.
- Peele, S. (2000), What addiction is and is not: The impact of mistaken notions of addiction. Addiction Research, 8, 599-607.
- Peele, S. (2001), Is gambling an addiction like drug and alcohol addiction? Developing realistic and useful conceptions of compulsive gambling. Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues: eGambling, [On-line serial], 3.
- Peele, S. (2009), L’Amérique en guerre contre l’addiction. Psychotropes, Vol. 15 n° 4, pp. 27-40.
- Peele, S. (2010), The fluid concept of smoking addiction. In: Phillips, Carl V., & Bergen, Paul L. (Eds.), Tobacco Harm Reduction 2010: A Yearbook of Recent Research and Analysis. TobaccoHarmReduction.org.
- Peele, S. (2015). Why neurobiological models can't contain mental disorder and addiction. In Deacon, B., and McKay, D. (Eds.), The Biomedical Model of Psychological Problems. the Behavior Therapist, October 2015, 38(7): 218-222.
- Letters from readers to Ain't misbehavin'. (November/December, 1989), Letter from Roy A. Wise, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, and Stanton's response. The Sciences, pp. 12-16.
- Peele, S. (1991), Cold turkey: Is smoking an addiction? Reason, pp. 54-55.
- Peele, S. (2000, Summer), Sex, drugs and dependency. When does too much of a good thing become a 'behavioural disease'? Last Magazine, p. 56.
- Peele, S. (2010, August 24), The Meaning of Addiction: DSM-5 Gives the Lie to Addiction as a Chronic Brain Disease. Psychiatric Times.
- Peele, S. (2010), Addiction In Society: Blinded by Biochemistry. Psychology Today, September 1.
- Peele, S. (2014), My hostile breakfast with Gabor Maté. Substance.com, July 2014.
- Peele, S. (1985, October 18), Ballplayers put a twist on drug 'truths'. Los Angeles Times, Part 2, p. 5.
- Peele, S. (2022, June 20), How American Psychiatry Misled the World and Ruined Mental Health Worldwide. Life Process Program Blog.
Letters to the Editor
- Peele, S. (1999, May 12), Growing heroin use among the young and affluent? New York Times.
- Dr. Stanton Peele on Addiction. 2007 interview by Andrew Proscyk. Edited by Patrick J. Bergin, MD.
- Why can't they keep their zipper up? Men: Power, Politics, and Sexual Addiction. Stanton Peele (First 30 min.) and Tony Monterastell (Second 30 min.) on Radio Dr. Gluss. June 17, 2011.
- Seven Addiction Myths You're Sold. Presentation held at Western Region (Ireland) Drug and Alcohol Task Force, November 13th, 2018.